Presented in partnership with Ottawa Public Health and the City of Ottawa.
Images and stories have the power to change the world.
And we're using that power to inspire people to take action to support trees in our environment.
One, photo, one story, one exhibit at a time.
Winning submissions will be enlarged and professionally exhibited at Lansdowne Park from September 21st until October 5th.
The exhibit will then travel to our tree festival in Brewer Park in October 2016.
Photographs and stories will also be featured on Tree Fest Ottawa’s website and social media.
Step #1: Choose a category
(There will be three winning submissions from each of the following five categories)
1. Spectacular: This magnificent tree specimen inspires awe! Whether due to its size, age, species, or any other reason you deem important, this tree is truly spectacular.
2. Resilient: Trees are masters at adaptation, bending and twisting to fit almost any condition. This tree exemplifies resilience in the face of threats, overcoming adversity and thriving!
3. Health Promoter: Trees are essential to both our physical and mental wellbeing. Whether by providing shade, a beautiful view, or carbon sequestration, help us celebrate a tree that contributes to the health of our city and citizens.
4. Edible treat: Berries, bark, nuts, flowers, fruit, or sap, trees provide tasty and sometimes surprising additions to the urban forest. This tree ads something scrumptious for the forager in the know.
5. Heritage: An elder of the urban forest canopy, this tree has witnessed Ottawa’s urban growth and stood the test of time.
Step #2: Take a picture
Get out there and take a picture of your chosen tree(s).
Just follow these guidelines:
· All photographs must be of local content (i.e. taken in Ottawa or surrounding area).
· All photographs must have been taken in the last two years.
Step #3: Submit an entry or entries by email
All photographs must be submitted digitally by July 25th, 2016 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Submissions in French are welcome!
- The image should be sent as a .JPG or .JPEG file.
- Each image should be between 3MB and 10MB in size.
- The file name/label must be in the format of: photographer’s firstname_lastname_category
- Include the following information in the body of the email to be eligible for the contest:
· The category of the submission
· The reason the tree was selected for the category (50 words or less)
· The tree’s location (nearest intersection/park)
· A sentence saying that you agree to the contest’s terms and conditions
Multiple entries per person and category are allowed. This competition is open to both professional and amateur photographers and everyone who loves trees.
The winning submissions will be selected by a group of five jurors. The entries will be judged equally on the following criteria:
1. Quality of the image: composition, technical quality and visual impact
2. Reason for the selection: content/originality, relevance to category/theme
Full Photo Contest Terms and Conditions
A panel of five judges made up of a Tree Fest Ottawa representative, tree champions and a guest photography expert will select the winning submissions.
Notification to Winners
Tree Fest Ottawa will contact the winners in early August. Only winning entrants will be notified.
Terms and Conditions
By submitting an entry to the contest, each winner agrees to be contacted by Tree Fest Ottawa for express purpose of the contest.
All photographs entered into the contest become the property of Tree Fest Ottawa, which assumes no responsibility for lost, delayed, or misdirected entries. Entrants agree to abide by the contest rules and the decision of the contest organizers, which are final.
Competition opens on Monday, June 27, 2016 and closes at midnight ET on July 25th, 2016.
Announcement of Winners
Winners will be contacted by email in early August, 2016.
All photographs entered into the contest must be of local content (i.e. taken in Ottawa or surrounding area).
Photographs must have been taken within two (2) years before the date of entry.
Photographs, in their entirety, must be single works of original material taken by the contest entrant. By entering the contest, the entrant represents, acknowledges, and warrants that submitted photographs are original works created solely by the entrant, that the photograph does not infringe on the copyrights, trademarks, moral rights, rights of privacy/publicity or intellectual property rights of any person or entity, and that no other party has any right, title, claim, or interest in the photograph.
The copyright of submitted and winning photographs will be owned by the participating photographers and given proper photo credit. However, by uploading any photograph to the contest, entrants grant Tree Fest Ottawa a world-wide, royalty-free, irrevocable and non-exclusive right and license to use, copy, communicate, publicly display and perform, distribute and create compilations and derivative works or merchandise from any such submitted photograph to be used as promotional or exhibition material connected to Tree Fest Ottawa’s brand or any other future events, programs and initiatives. Entrants represent and warrant that they have the right to grant the license set out above.
Entrants will be able to use their photos, which they retain the copyright to, in their print and online portfolios, exhibitions, books and other publications and to disseminate – including sell – their photos to interested clients. They will be identified as the authors of the photographs.
By entering this contest, photographers attest that they have created all submitted photos and that submitted photos have not been previously published. Photographers must also have obtained any necessary third-party releases and be responsible for ensuring that their submissions are in compliance with the legal and copyright laws. Tree Fest Ottawa reserve the right to request a copy of any personal release, location release or artist release.
A photograph which displays an identified or identifiable person may infringe on such person’s right of privacy or may disclose such person’s personal information. Entrants shall use due care to avoid any infringement of personal rights including but not limited to obtaining necessary permission from such person.
Tree Fest Ottawa will not be responsible for any claims or complaints against infringement of rights or damages from third parties relating to the subject/subject matter of entries, and entrants agree to indemnify and hold Tree Fest Ottawa harmless in such cases.
Limitation of Liability
By entering this contest, all entrants agree to release, discharge, and hold harmless Tree Fest Ottawa and its partners, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising agencies, agents and their employees, officers, directors, and representatives from any claims, losses, and damages arising out of their participation in this contest or any contest-related activities and the acceptance and use, misuse, or possession of any prize awarded hereunder.
Tree Fest Ottawa assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, or delay in operation or transmission; communications line failure; theft or destruction of or unauthorized access to contest entries or entry forms; or alteration of entries or entry forms. Tree Fest Ottawa is not responsible for any problems with or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any email entry to be received on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, human errors of any kind, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to entrants’ or any other persons’ computers related to or resulting from participation, uploading or downloading of any materials related to in this contest.